Monday, November 17, 2008

My Thoughts on Foster Parents

I have heard lot of people talk about Foster Care and Foster Parents. Some positive and some negative. Well I just wanted to share my thoughts on Foster Parenting. I think that the people who truly are foster parents are angels sent from God. Araya's foster mom and dad are the most wonderful people. They cared and loved her from the first 3 days of her life until she joined our family at 4 months old and as told by Karen, Arays'a foster mom those 4 months were not easy! Araya was a difficult baby. She had screaming fits, she had reflux, and she didn't sleep well, but through all that Karen could see the special little girl that lye in Araya's eyes. She knew that through that feisty little baby would stem a feisty little miracle. That miracle is our daughter, and without the love, devotion, and nurturing mother and father God blessed Araya with I would not have the secure stable child that I do today. Araya knew she was loved. She knew in Karen's arms things would be ok and she was safe.

I remember talking to Karen asking her "how could she do it?" "How can you give this precious little baby to another family?", I asked. and she answered me an answer that I will never forget. She said because that is not my role, I am not meant to be her mother, or her permanent family. I am only here to care for her until her real mother and permanent family finds her. (Yeah I know if you can read that without crying then bless you because every time I relive that conversation I cry.)

So for anyone out there skeptical of foster parents. I just wanted to share my thoughts on what angels they are. They are the people who are so selfless that they give of themselves weeks, days, or months of taking care of a child and those times may not be easy but they do it. They are that loving and that amazing that they give of themselves so much that these precious little miracles can be in a secure safe haven until they are united with their family. So I can't imagine a more greater deed of another human being than to give of themselves for the good of an innocent child.

As a matter of fact we bonded with Karen and Rich(Araya's foster dad) and their son Zach so instantly that I knew I always wanted them to be a part of Araya's life. I wanted them to always know the little girl they helped care for. i wanted them to watch her grow and be there for her. That is why we asked them to be Araya's Godmother and Godfather which they graciously accepted. They are wonderful, amazing people who I am forever grateful too for taking such good care of our daughter. She could not have been in better hands.

Foster parents at the Children's Home of Pittsburgh know their roles. They know their boundaries. Their role is to be a foster parent and care for their foster children until they are joined with their family. So I also commend The Children's Home of Pittsburgh on a wonderful program. If you haven't done so you should check out their website on my blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holly, thank you for your kind thoughts regarding fostering. My life has been enriched since the day Karen and Rich (friends from high school) introduced us to the Childrens Home of Pgh. My husband and I have been part of the foster program for over 2 years and are now caring for our 7th newborn.

Our lives are forever changed from the experience and blessings of being chosen to care for these tiny bundles of joy. Re-uniting with Karen and Rich is one of the many gifts we have received since becoming foster parents. They are truly special people who I am honored to have as our friends.

I believe all things are possible when we make ourselves available to God. I am so happy for your family that you have found each other. Blessings to all of you. Laura

Finalization Day

Finalization Day
Here we are on finalization day. A journey that started only a little over a year ago closes today on February 13th, 2007 at the courthouse with Lisa our social worker. Lisa is an angel to our family. Our family is complete. We could not have done it without the help of God, and our friends and families. Thank you to all of our wonderful friends and to our supportive families who made this miracle come true.